Wednesday, April 4, 2012

green soup

I have a favorite soup.

It's my go-to easy comfort soup, a soup I make several times a month in large batches so I can eat it throughout the week. It's delicious, soothing, nutritious, and it reminds me of home.

This is not a recipe blog and I have no intention of making it into one. But I thought I'd share my recipe for this soup because it's special to me. It's also super easy, which is how I like my cooking to be.


Photobucket


Broccoli and Spinach Soup

(Makes a very large pot)

3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped,
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 TB butter (or coconut oil)
fresh or frozen broccoli, (I use frozen organic broccoli and usually use about 3 10-oz. bags)
several big handfuls of baby spinach
6+ cups chicken or vegetable stock, preferably homemade (I use chicken)
1-2 cups whole milk (coconut milk works great, too)
spices (see note about this below)

Melt butter in a large soup pot, and saute garlic, onion, celery and carrot until soft. Season with salt and pepper.
I add my various seasonings at this point, which change every time I make this. Currently, my favorites are lots of dill and some dried sage. I don't measure anything, I just toss some in, stir, taste, and adjust.

Add broccoli and spinach, stir and let cook down for a few minutes. Then add your stock. I add enough so that it barely covers the vegetables.
Cover and cook at med-high for about 10 minutes, (this is an estimate. Basically, I heat until the soup just begins to boil and everything is soft.)

Take soup off the heat and, in sections, run through a blender until super smooth. When all is blended, add soup back to the pot, and add your milk. For a big pot of soup, I probably use about a cup and a half although, again, I don't really measure. You can adjust the amount, based on how you like it. I recommend you taste it before adding too much, though, because the soup is incredibly flavorful on its own.

Taste, season with more salt and pepper and heat until all warmed through.

Enjoy!


3 comments:

Jann said...

Looks delicious!

Emma Galloway said...

Beautiful photo and recipe :-) Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Clare! I'm gonna get the ingredients today to make.