Monday, April 30, 2012

denver- the land of friends, family, and beer

I meant to take so many more photos in Denver. I really did.
But I often struggle with knowing when to pick up my camera to be the "documenter" or putting down my camera to simply enjoy the experience.

I opted for more experiencing and less documenting while we were in Denver.

From the fantastic apartment we rented during our stay, (that was located in the PERFECT neighborhood), to the amazing dinner we had at Z Cuisine and incredible cocktails we enjoyed afterward at the super-cool speak-easy bar, Williams & Graham, (can you say "blackberry sage smash?"), Denver was every bit as fun as we had hoped.

The city reminds me quite a bit of Portland. The size, the outdoorsy people, the priority placed by the city on having lots of biking and walking paths, the sophisticated food scene, the friendliness, the passion for artisan beer, the social activism and the charming neighborhoods all made me feel instantly at home. Aside from the lack of a body of water anywhere in the vicinity and the many more days of sun per year, Denver could be a city in the Pacific Northwest.

Over the course of 4 days, Joe and I visited the stunning Red Rocks Park, wandered through some of the best antique shops I have ever seen (oh, how my prop collection is growing), and spent some time with dear friends and family.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

I also taught a workshop.

It wasn't the workshop I had originally planned, but that's okay-- I believe things happen for a reason.
Instead, I spent an afternoon with the lovely Michelle and did a one-on-one food photography session in her home.

Michelle and her husband have been brewing their own beer for awhile and even have their own hops farm so, fittingly, Michelle asked if we could focus the session on shooting beer.

I very happily obliged.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

I even got to take some of my own photos! What a treat!
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Michelle, thank you for your kindness and hospitality. I look forward to keeping up with your work!

Denver, I cannot wait to visit again.

No comments: